So you have finally made the decision about what college you are going to attend, and that took a lot of effort. Just as you think you can sit back and relax, after all that was involved in the process, you will find you have a few more things to decide. The next big thing is deciding where you are going to live. The first question is whether you will be on or off campus. There are a variety of things to consider in this area. It is not uncommon for freshmen to live on campus, in a dorm. You will find, however, that you will probably not stay on campus for your whole college career. There are positives for both choices. If you are going to look for off-campus housing, you will want to do some research and locate Athens, Ohio, apartment rentals.
Advantages to Living Off-Campus
- One of the biggest advantages to living in an off-campus apartment is that you will have a kitchen. Most campus dorms do not have this luxury. You will find that you can eat healthier when you are cooking on your own. You will have the advantage of planning meals you like and eating them at your convenience. You won't be tied to a cafeteria schedule that conflicts with your classes or work. It will also save you time, since you won't have to wait in the line that will form around mealtimes. You will be closer to local restaurants if you do want to eat out for a meal.
- You will have more adult life experiences if you are living off-campus. You will be responsible financially to make sure the rent is paid. You will also learn skills involved with cooking and cleaning. You will learn that there are many things to do to keep a household going, and this provides you a great learning experience.
- There is a greater element of freedom when you live off-campus. In most cases, if you rent an apartment, you will know all of your roommates. You won't have to be concerned about who you will actually be living with. This can be a relief, because you will be with friends or acquaintances that have a similar lifestyle to yours. You will be able to set up your own house rules and not be governed by campus regulations.
- You will also find that an off-campus housing option will allow for more alone time. If you are living with others, chances are you will have your own room. This gives you the space you need to study in a quiet area, and that is hard to find in a dorm. There are times as well when you just need to be by yourself, to relax and take it easy. If you find that you really need your own space, you can live alone, and invite friends over, instead of living with them.
- When you live with someone, you generally create strong bonds that can turn into a lifelong friendship. If you meet someone while living in a dorm, whose company you enjoy, that may be the option for your off-campus roommate. You will then meet their other friends and your network will continue to expand.
- Living off-campus may help you to avoid illness as well. By not sharing a floor with many other students, you are not exposed to flu and other sickness.
You can still live close to campus, so you aren't missing out on the fun events that go on. Determine your budget, the area you would like to live, and then reach out to find Athens, Ohio, apartment rentals.
Related Articles -
athens, ohio, apartment, rentals,