Does your garage door malfunctions every time you try to open/close it? Hearing strange sounds from your door? Ignoring these vital signs of an ageing door can cost you hundreds of dollars in repair. Worst case: you may even have to replace the entire door. Before your door stops working all together, here are 6 ultimate tricks every homeowner should know to save costs on garage door service projects. |
Tips and Tricks from Garage Door Repair Toronto Experts
Homeowners can tackle simple issues themselves without any professional help. General servicing and maintenance can be undertaken by any ‘average Joe’. But there are serious issues like spring repair, replacing garage door cable etc that must only be entrusted to experts. Let’s get going with the 6 tricks.
1. Metal Tracks may be Damaged: Metal tracks are the first to be affected from rust and weather extremities. It is also the one that can be repaired quickly and easily. Dents and bumps develop on the tracks. Use micro hammer to repair these defects. Use a scale to straighten the tracks in proper alignment. Tighten the loose screws as well.
2. Clean and Lubricate Tracks: Clean the tracks using cotton cloth. Use a good quality oil to lubricate the chain and metal tracks on the garage door. Make simple long motions while lubricating and do not put excess oil in the tracks. This can lead to dirt/dust accumulation. Silicon spray is the best alternative to oils. While you are at it, also lubricate rollers and bearings.
3. Tightening the Loose Bolts and Screws: Screws and bolts are loosened after some time. Inspect all the screws carefully and notice the loose ones. Opening and closing mechanism is where you will find most loose parts. Sometimes problem is grave than simple loose screws. For example, the screw holes can become loose. In this case, use high-quality wood filler and saturate holes for more grip.
4. Garage Dimensions: If you live in an earthquake prone area, you will understand what we are talking about. Simple shocks can dislocate panels from tracks. This can be solved by replacing the tracks with ones having a wider footprint. Some garage doors are dislocated due to heavy usage because the panels constantly shift place. Larger screws and bolts should be used for wider reach inside the walls.
5. Opener Settings: Opener allows for a variety of settings. If you have set your door to open fast, change the setting to medium. The door will now take 2-3 more seconds to open/close but it will definitely be smooth. Quick operation may save time but it can put increased pressure on the opener.
6. Electricals: Being electrically operated, most doors have multiple electrical connections. The battery operated DC doors must be handled carefully. Before you set out to repair, ensure that the supply is cut off. Do not use non-insulated tools during repair and maintenance project.
When you are undertaking repair project, it is important that you follow al the safety instructions as mentioned in the manual. Garage Door repair okville professionals advise that you call experts for spring and cable repair. Follow these simple maintenance tips to ensure long-lasting garage doors.
Author Bio:- After serving garage door repair Toronto industry for more than 15 years, Fred K. Williamson rightly deserves full stars on his shoulders. His extensive experience makes sure your door is diagnosed and repaired within hours. He also deals in new and old garage doors from all the manufacturers. In his free time, he writes valuable insights into garage door industry and how to repair them at home using simple tools.
Related Articles -
garage door Installation, garage door repair, garage door maintenance, garage door service, garage doors accessories, garage door parts,