Allergy shots are an effective treatment for allergies, but they present a significant barrier — needles. Around 10 percent of Americans have trypanophobia (phobia related to the fear of needles). It’s not that the other 90 percent of adults do not have reservations about receiving shots. Individuals who suffer from trypanophobia are unique in that they dread receiving medical due to their fear of getting a shot. |
Symptoms related to this condition include:
Elevated heart rate in the hours or even days leading up to medical treatment Elevated blood pressure Anxiety Difficulty sleeping the night before a procedure
Patients with this condition often feel light-headed while receiving an injection. A sudden drop in blood pressure can mean that these individuals faint shortly after being given a vaccination or shot.
A growing number of allergy specialists are beginning to offer sublingual therapy as an alternative to allergy shots. The immunotherapy is highly effective and does not require the use of injection needles. What is Sublingual Therapy?
Sublingual therapy (SLIT) works similarly to allergy shots. Small doses of an allergen are administered through the use of oral drops that are placed under the tongue. The allergen enters the bloodstream without the need for uncomfortable injections. Over time, the body grows accustomed to the foreign allergen (through the natural process of developing a tolerance), and the patient begins to enjoy a reduction in allergy symptoms.
The drops are custom made to include allergens that pertain to your symptoms. Similar to allergy shots, the first month of treatment is known as the escalation phase. The second month onward is known as the maintenance phase.
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology describes sublingual therapy as an effective treatment for:
Rhinitis and asthma Allergy to dust mites, grass, ragweed, cat dander, and tree pollens Red and itchy eyes caused by pollen Children with eczema Certain food allergies
Side effects are rare. If mild side effects do occur, they usually are experienced as mild itching in the mouth following the first few treatments. How Effective is Sublingual Therapy?
Numerous studies on the effectiveness of sublingual therapy have been conducted in Europe and the United States. While research is ongoing, the findings so far validate sublingual therapy as an effective alternative to allergy shots.
The Journal of the American Medical Association noted that there is “clear evidence that sublingual immunotherapy” is an effective treatment for individuals suffering from asthma and allergies.
The American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology found that side effects related to sublingual therapy are generally mild and local (meaning isolated to the mouth).
The National Institutes of Health states that sublingual therapy is a “viable” alternative to allergy shots, based on the results of 77 clinical trials.
If you suffer from a fear of allergy shots and live in or around Boca Raton, FL, Dr. Bradford Ress and his skilled team of allergy specialists offer testing and treatments (including sublingual therapy) for allergies. If you are looking for an alternative to allergy shots, we welcome you to explore our alternative treatments today.
Explore the Benefits of Sublingual Therapy Today
If you would prefer to administer your immunotherapy treatments from the comfort of your home or if are unable to undergo allergy shots, one of our allergy specialists will gladly explain the benefits of this alternative treatment. To schedule your consultation for sublingual therapy, contact our Boca Raton, FL office online today or call (561) 353-7377.
Related Articles -
trypanophobia, sublingual therapy,