There’s nothing like a good night’s sleep to make a guy feel like a new man. It’s a well-known fact that getting plenty of sleep is a crucial factor in determining overall health - but an appropriate amount of sleep can have an impact on a man’s male organ health as well. And if that’s the case, a man who has sleep apnea may have concerns about how it might affect his manhood. |
What is sleep apnea?
Sleep apnea has risen in the public consciousness in recent years due to many articles and stories about it. But those without sleep disturbances may not really know what it is.
Sleep apnea is "a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing or periods of shallow breathing during sleep." The length of time for these pauses can vary from a few seconds to a few minutes, and they occur multiple times during the night; at least five must occur within one hour to receive a diagnosis of sleep apnea. Typically sleep apnea is marked by periods of very loud snoring, and choking or snorting sounds may be common at the end of these pauses in breath.
There are three main types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (also called OSA) is the most common form and occurs when the throat muscles relax. If the passageway is narrow - as is often the case with people who are overweight, for example - it can cause a closure which prevents air from getting through.
- Central sleep apnea (or CSA) happens because something is keeping the brain from sending signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome (or CSAS) is a situation in which a patient has both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
There are many different symptoms associated with sleep apnea, including loud snoring, waking up abruptly, waking with a dry mouth, having a headache in the morning, attention problems, irritability and difficulty staying awake during the day.
The male organ health connection
Sleep apnea is obviously a problem, but just how does it affect male organ health? There are several ways in which it can have an impact.
- Decreased desire. It’s hard for a guy to feel frisky and be at the top of his sensual game when he’s having a hard time just staying awake. In addition, lack of sleep wreaks havoc with hormone production, causing androgen levels to lower - and that in turn dampens the drive considerably.
- Male dysfunction. Sleep apnea also increases the risk that it will be harder to get and/or maintain a hard organ. One study of guys with sleep apnea indicated that 70% of the men involved also experienced male dysfunction. Part of the reason is lack of sufficient androgen hormones. But sleep disruption also affects the oxygen levels in the blood, and that makes it more difficult to achieve tumescence.
- Relationship issues. Loud snoring can lead to partners sleeping in separate bedrooms, which can impact their level of intimacy. Apnea can also make a person more irritable, which can lead to disagreements which again affect intimacy.
If a man thinks he has sleep apnea, he should consult with a doctor and undergo a sleep apnea test. There are several approaches to treating sleep apnea, including lifestyle changes or the use of a CPAP machine. The latter option involves wearing a mask while sleeping. The mask raises air pressure to help keep the throat passage open.
The healthier the manhood is, the harder it is for sleep apnea to affect it, so guys should keep an eye on male organ health. Using a male organ health creme (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil, which is clinically proven mild and safe for skin) can help. The best crème should include a range of vitamins, such as A, B5, C, D and E, which offer benefits through topical application directly to the manhood. Ideally the crème should also include L-arginine, an amino acid that boosts nitric oxide so manhood blood vessels can accept greater blood flow.
Visit www.menshealthfirst.com for more information about treating common male organ health problems, including soreness, redness and loss of male organ sensation. John Dugan is a professional writer who specializes in men's health issues and is an ongoing contributing writer to numerous online web sites.
Related Articles -
reproductive function, sleep apnea, male organ health creme,